Project Plume!

Thursday night was the fourth meeting of the Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild. I sure do love this group!

Back in February, we issued a challenge- Project Plume.  Charm packs of Tula Pink’s  Plume fabric were given out (Thank you Moda and Tula!) with the following rules:

– use only the charm pack and one additional half-yard of fabric for the top

– any fabric you wanted for the additional half yard, backing and binding

– bring it back in April for a big show and tell!

Everyone was so secretive up until the big reveal! A few members posted sneak peeks on blogs, but mostly it was all a big surprise to see what everyone did.

I cannot tell you how NEAT this was! Every one of them was fantastic- and so different! One person’s quilt was her first quilt EVER. Yeah, Carrie! Check them out:

Does Lauren’s on the bottom left look like different fabric? That would be because she bleached it. What a clever one, that girl.

My mom’s is the one in the bottom photo, second one on the top row. I heart her.

Mine is the mini me version of Tula’s market quilt. (top photo, fourth quilt on the top row) When we got the charm packs, I’d just won the infamous quilt kit from my previous post. I knew it would be a bit before I could start that one, so I decided to use the pattern and scale it WAAAAAAY down for my Project Plume quilt. I am super irritated at myself for not getting a photo of the back of the quilt top- you should have seen the seams pressed open!

I’d show you a photo of mine, but I don’t have one and Miss Tula has possession of the quilt right now. I’ll have to grovel and beg her to send me some sort of photo of it.

In the meantime, Project Plume quilts are popping up all over now that we’ve had the big reveal. AlexMelissa, Angela, Jacquie, Marilyn, and Tula herself have posted about theirs so far.

I am looking forward to many more terrific meetings with the KC MQG. We’ve had a wonderful- not to mention hilarious- group of people. Our first meeting in January had 34 people, then for the last three months, we’ve had SEVENTY people at each meeting! Yahoo!! We’ve got some great stuff planned for the guild, so stay tuned!

10 Responses to Project Plume!

1. Alex April 17, 2010 at 12:14 pm #

I think yours takes the cake Shea! Gorgeous.

2. wishes, true and kind April 17, 2010 at 1:21 pm #

Oh, thank you soooo much! I’ve been seeing a quilt here or there on blogs from this wonderful challenge but have been dying to see them all together. Absolutely fabulous and so diverse. Just goes to show what a talented and creative bunch of quilters can do, especially with such wonderful fabric! Well done, all!

3. kristin April 17, 2010 at 1:31 pm #

I am having SO much fun in the MQG! I’m generally not much of a joiner, but I love the emphasis on not being one of “those” guilds. I can’t wait for a new guild challenge.

4. Casey April 17, 2010 at 3:09 pm #

I love how different they all are, you all did really amazing jobs!

5. Amy C April 17, 2010 at 6:00 pm #

It’s neat to see all of the different ways everyone used the plume fabric. They all look fabulous!

6. Rebekah April 19, 2010 at 7:54 am #

That is such a cool concept for a project! I am going to suggest this to our group for our next challenge

7. Karla April 20, 2010 at 8:51 pm #

I stumbled across your blog somewhere and am wondering when & where you meet. I’m in Blue Springs and might be interested in attending a meeting. Love those quilts!!

8. Melissa April 24, 2010 at 12:23 am #

I’m having so much fun with the guild! And it was great to see everyone’s projects. Thanks for posting the photos.

9. traceyjay April 24, 2010 at 10:44 am #

These were so incredible! And helped me finally get my own mini-Plume done!

Thank you!

You can see it here if you’d like:

10. Tula Pink April 28, 2010 at 7:54 pm #

I love all of you! I just posted this on my twitter @TulaPink to show everyone how fabulous you all are!

0:)