Sarah’s Fabrics: a crafty field trip!

Every now and again, you just need a good road trip for fabric. For Mother’s Day, we gave my mom some cold hard cash and a promise that I’d take her to Sarah’s Fabrics in Lawrence, KS. I’d only been once and she’d not yet seen the awesomeness that is within that shop.

Cali came along for the ride (I’m noticing a trend here, Cali!) and we were off!

I’ll let the photos do the talking here!

And that’s only a fraction of the store!

The area where I spent most of my time… the shot cotton territory!

Sarah’s is also home to many treasures. Fabrics that are no longer easy to find. Case in point, this bolt of purple Amy Butler. Look carefully! That’s from her Temple Flowers line! I think it would be safe to call it “vintage” Amy Butler.

And, Neptune Stalkers, get a load of this! Eight bolts of Tula Pink’s Neptune fabric. I’ll save you the legwork: Sarah’s Fabrics, (785) 842- 6198. You’re welcome. You can also see some Hushabye in the photo.  A few Flutterby and Nest bolts were there, too.

Given the bounty of beautiful stuff on hand, you may be curious about what I actually purchased. Crafty friends of mine will laugh and perhaps roll their eyes. I walked out with eight different solids.

From left: random navy linen, then Kaffe Fassett shot cottons in driftwood, aegean, grass, spruce, blush, sage and lichen

All to make these:

The Playdate Dress

The Ice Cream dress (DONE!!)

and a Mail Sack. (also DONE!!) I had the Anna Maria Horner print already and was just searching for some perfect fabric to go with it.

I think I’m making a return trip later in the month, as a couple of us introduce Lauren to Sarah’s. (Lauren, have you stopped drooling yet?)

Maybe next time I’ll skip the solids. But let’s be honest. It’s not likely.

13 Responses to Sarah’s Fabrics: a crafty field trip!

1. Tia August 4, 2010 at 5:24 am #

I miss Sarah’s fabric! Such a great shop. Each trip was an adventure. The solids you selected are wonderful….I thought the “grass” I had was mint, but I guess it is grass…and I need more of it.

2. Cali August 4, 2010 at 5:51 am #

Yes, Shea, I think a pattern is developing! I have become kind of a “Shea-stalker”, if you will! You are my sewing mentor, so I must follow you wherever you go!
    Seriously though, thanks for letting me tag along, and for the side trip to Runza for Chris K.
    I see a return trip to Sarah’s in my near future!

3. Rebekah August 4, 2010 at 6:32 am #

I am totally drooling over that fabric store! Those polka dots are calling my name, and the solids, too, of course.

4. kelly August 4, 2010 at 6:51 am #

Must.get.there. Maybe next week when I come down for the KCMQG meeting? Hmmmmmm… maybe! :)

5. Stacey August 4, 2010 at 7:31 am #

Uh, where’s the pictures of these done dresses?! I must see them!!! I sew vicariously through you, you know.

6. lauren August 4, 2010 at 8:53 am #

How did you know I was a drooler? Did my husband tell you? Yeah, I am having lots of tiny little anticipation-strokes looking at these pictures… It is going to be DANGEROUS for me there. DANGEROUS!

By the way, can’t wait to see your ice cream dress! Did you ditch the grey stripe? I think those shot cottons are gorgeous.

(Also, I spent so much money on fabric yesterday that it BROKE A REGISTER I was being checked out on. Not really, but it messed it all up. Over 30 yards of bag making fabrics, it was painful, but I’ve already cut up almost a third of it.)

7. kristin August 4, 2010 at 11:16 am #

Wait, how can it be that Lauren and your mother have/had never visited Sarah’s? And when did they get shot cottons in? I have visions of double-sided napkins for wedding presents…

Anyway, I love Sarah’s. It’s my primary reason for going to Lawrence, along with the Yarn Barn across the street. And with Jimmy John’s only a few steps away, there’s no need to worry about getting hungry during your spree.

8. Kait August 4, 2010 at 12:49 pm #

I went to Sarah’s once with a friend but I was in the midst of a long road trip and short on money and didn’t buy anything! I’ve regretted it ever since! I need to go back but really, how often am I in Kansas? That friend doesn’t even live there anymore. One day!

9. Caitlin August 4, 2010 at 8:15 pm #

Maybe we sould plan a guild field trip out there? I’ve never been, and actually, had never heard of it before a few months ago. Looks like I could drop a few dollars in that store…!

10. savvy stitch August 11, 2010 at 10:19 am #

Loved the fabric eye candy in this post!

11. Leona August 19, 2010 at 11:23 am #

I found your blog when I was doing a google search for Tula Pink’s Neptune Fabric! I called Sarah’s Fabric and ordered a half yard of whichever she still had a available!Thank you so much for the post!
    Leona

12. sarah fayman August 21, 2010 at 3:04 pm #

It’s sooo cool to see how the bags turned out! I love them all. We don’t always get to see the end results of projects. Thanks for the kind words, and the interest your blog has sparked. Shot cotton was a perfect choice for the Oliver+ S dress you made for your precious daughter.

13. karen March 17, 2011 at 2:07 pm #

I was checking our your site and saw a very familiar site…Sara’s Fabrics! I live in Lawrence, KS and they have a LOT of my money. I heart that place. If you are in the area again, let me know. :-)