A Mail Sack Party

August 4, 2010

Tuesday, I hosted two friends and my mom for a day of sewing! We made Mail Sacks, the most wonderful bag pattern ever.

My mom brought down her two machines and between her machines and mine (plus a very curious Eleanor and a crawling-all-over-the-place Graham), we kept the kitchen hopping!

We turned the counter into a cutting and pressing station:

And the table into our sweatshop: (after all, the heat index was around 110!)

Eleanor wanted to help “Gigi” sew her bag. She got to help with a backstitch on my mom’s old Bernina.

We kept commenting about the variety of fabric pairings we ended up with. My mom’s was made from two black and white prints, along with two solids on the lining and pockets. Super cute!

Toward the end of our day, our friend Allison stopped by with Sonic happy hour drinks! Seam ripping goes down much more easily with a Sonic drink in hand. (Let’s break from the action long enough for me to share a wish of mine. Wouldn’t the world be an awesome place if your ice dispenser in your fridge dispensed Sonic-style ice? You know you agree. Just admit it.)

And, we enjoyed my very favorite cookie recipe. At some point I realized that we were making Pink Chalk Studio Mail Sacks (designed by Kathy Mack) and eating the chocolate chip cookie recipe that I got from her blog a few years ago. It was like we were having our very own Kathy Mack holiday or something! You really should try her recipe. I think I’ve been asked for it every time I make them. Something about the combo of the powdered sugar and milk chocolate chips sucks people in.

And the finished products! Here are Cali and Elexis with their bags:

And me with my adorable mom. She made the Mini version of the bag. I don’t think I’ve ever posted my own photo on my blog before. I told them that if I was doing it, then I was taking them down with me!

Wanna see inside? Kathy’s pattern (for the regular size Sack) includes one side with a divided pocket and another side with a zipper (not shown in these photos). Her method for putting in the zipper is super easy- ours were installed in no time.

And the outside! I’d seen a couple of Mail Sacks that Kathy made recently that included a nice bit of trim between the main bag bottom and the yoke. This is not a part of the original design or pattern. We decided that we wanted to include that, so I e-mailed Kathy. She wrote me back so quickly and gave me the info we needed to add that feature. We could have done our own method, but it was great to have her exact measurements. We all agreed that we LOVED the look.

We had such a great time sewing together. I cannot recommend it enough! We’re already plotting our next crafty adventure…

1. August 4, 2010 11:38 pm

Shea, those bags are wonderful! What a fun day that must have been. That looks like a pattern I might be able to tackle. Thanks for sharing!

2. Chelley Black permalink
    August 5, 2010 10:50 am

Did you know that you can buy Sonic ice to keep at home? I’ve never done it, but have heard that you can. :)

Love the bags! You and your mom are so cute together and so color coordinated!

3. Erin permalink
    August 5, 2010 10:52 pm

You are so pretty! I’m glad you posted a picture of yourself. I love… Love…LOVE your bags and I’m thinking that I need some of those to go grocery shopping in. Trying to be green is EASY when there is fabric involved! Your mom is super cute too! So glad to hear that other women do this sort of thing that I dream about! SEW ON!

4. August 6, 2010 1:29 pm

Looks like you had a really productive day – I love the bags that you all made. I tried to decide which one I like best….but couldn’t choose between them. Look forward to seeing pictures of future sewing days!

5. August 9, 2010 8:46 am

Shea, those bags are ADORABLE! I’ve been wanting a new purse lately. This just might be the answer!

6. August 12, 2010 10:22 am

Wow Shea, this is so unbelievably awesome I’m actually at a loss for words (which doesn’t happen very often!) Seeing all of you lovely women sewing together on a dining room table has got me all misty eyed. It’s just a beautiful scene. And being able to share that with your mother is so incredibly lovely. Your smiles say it all. Thank you for sharing this! xoxo Kathy

7. August 12, 2010 7:47 pm

Followed a link from Pink Chalk Studio to get to your blog, and I’m so glad that I did. This party looks super fun, and it makes me wish I knew other sewers in my area who like the same patterns that I do. I think that the black & white & brights combo that your mom made looks stunning!

8. August 12, 2010 8:09 pm

I need one of these!!!! Thanks for sharing, I am off to see how to buy the pattern.

9. August 12, 2010 8:14 pm

I love making the mail sack bag. Everyone seems to want one. Y’all chose some great fabric combinations. A good time while beating the heat — or enduring it anyway.

10. August 14, 2010 4:35 pm

Looks like fun! My girls call their grandma GiGi too :)

11. Alison permalink
    August 16, 2010 6:42 am

Looks like so much fun. It makes me wanna plan my own sewing party, and makes me wanna buy the pattern for that bag! Glad to have found your blog!

12. August 16, 2010 7:59 am

love these mail sacks! And, I totally bought the pattern last week after reading this :)

13. August 23, 2010 4:12 am

I just bought this pattern. Your post makes me want to make this one FIRST. Looks like you had fun!

Dixie

14. Sylvia permalink
    August 23, 2010 10:49 am

Wow! What fun! I noticed in the background, some framed fabric. Children’s clothes? Wonder if you can comment as I have some dresses I made for my now 28 year old daughter that I would love to frame, they were so pretty!

15. August 25, 2010 10:39 pm

So cool! What a fun way to share time with friends. And your mom has a Bernina 910! I LOVE that one…so fun and it’s blue. You might like to snatch that one up someday…just sayin.

16. Debra permalink
    August 31, 2010 8:32 pm

What a wonderful post! You have inspired my friends and I to do a similar sewing day! I am going to make the cookies from the recipe you mentioned that you got from Kathy Mack’s website, and we are all going to make Kathy’s “Market Tote” bags. (we all have at least one Mail Sack Bag already, I personally have three)
    Thanks for the great inspiration.
    All of the Mail Sacks you guys made look awesome !