Ice Cream Dress

It’s no secret that I am infatuated with Oliver + S patterns. I purchased the Ice Cream Dress pattern when we were in Boston in June and returned home to find that there was a sew-a-long planned on Flickr for July. Perfect!

I tried two other fabric combinations (prints), and while I loved the fabrics themselves, they just didn’t look like Eleanor. I knew that I needed to find the perfect shot cotton combination. Eleanor’s eyes have become this really awesome shade of grayish-greenish-hint-of-blue and this combination of Kaffe Fassett green (main part) and spruce (yoke and hem) would be just the ticket.

I’d not sewn a gather on something before, and found Amy’s tips to be spot on. I also used to tip for sewing a pocket with a lining and did French seams (something else I’d not done before). Did you know that pockets are the best place to keep finger puppets? This I have learned!

I won’t tell you how late I stayed up working on this. We’ll just say that the next morning, my husband woke up to find a finished dress that was a mere set of cut out pattern pieces when he fell asleep. I had a very bad case of “I wonder what the next step looks like?” going on.

The button is vintage and came from the button basket that once belonged to my grandmother. Eleanor and I picked it out together. And by “together” I mean, I rejected the 5 giant red and yellow buttons that she liked. But that’s a post for another day!

She’s going to be the flower girl in my cousin’s wedding today and had the chance to take the dress out for a spin last night at rehearsal. It should be an interesting day… during her second test run down the aisle, she yelled, “Look at us! We’re running!” I love it.

My husband snapped this next one. You’re right, Eleanor. Aisles are the best place to practice your marching skills.

10 Responses to Ice Cream Dress

1. kristin August 7, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

Agh! She is too cute! I love the dress, and it looks absolutely darling on her. March, Eleanor, March!

2. Cricket August 7, 2010 at 9:08 pm #

Yours is definitely one of my favorite versions of the ice cream dress. And that color on your little Eleanor? Gorgeous!

3. lauren August 7, 2010 at 9:14 pm #

This is so perfect. And she looks ADORABLE! Spunky, that one. I agree with you, while I loved that stripe, it really isn’t “enough” for her– she’s too bright and colorful for those gray stripes!

4. Bec August 8, 2010 at 8:40 pm #

Hi Shea, thanks for dropping by! Love your ice cream social dress, and your little one is super cute too.

5. susan August 11, 2010 at 6:01 am #

Oh I love this! I haven’t been much of a fan of view A until I saw your dress. I really dig the solid colours instead of prints.

6. Jenny@Anything Pretty August 11, 2010 at 10:36 pm #

She is darling! I love the dress, the colors are perfect on her. That marching picture is priceless!

7. Shannon August 14, 2010 at 4:38 pm #

I’m still practically hopeless when it comes to clothes-making, but drool over the Oliver and S patterns – so far only the kimono style pj’s have been in my ability range, lol. Love the neckline on that dress!

8. Rebekah August 16, 2010 at 7:58 am #

This dress is adorable! What a great use of those shot cottons!

9. Rohaise August 19, 2010 at 4:54 am #

Just lovely. Beautiful dress and even more beautiful model. She looks so sweet.

10. Sarah S August 20, 2010 at 3:57 pm #

Oh wow, ADORABLE! She is so sweet and the dress looks awesome! I love the colors you picked out. Great job!