O Christmas Tree, O (Felt) Christmas Tree: a Free Downloadable Tutorial

December 12, 2010

Felt Christmas Tree Tutorial

UPDATED 10/19/2011: Hi, Pinterest pinners! Based on interest in this post, I’ve created a set of directions to make the No-Sew Felt Christmas Tree. You’ll find the materials list, directions and templates included. You can download the instructions here. Enjoy!

We’re all moved in at our new place in San Diego. Actually, we are back in Missouri for the holidays already. Woo hoo! Since we wouldn’t be in San Diego long enough in December to justify a full fledged Christmas tree (and believe me, I considered it!), we needed a little something to make the place festive.

Enter our family’s felt Christmas tree. Total cost: $2.75.

I cut out a big tree from some extra green felt we had. It’s attached to the wall with several command adhesive strips. (love those things) The ornaments are made from sheets of felt, and are fused to the base color with Heat ‘N Bond Lite. (love that stuff, too) No sewing required! No Velcro, either, since felt sticks to felt easily.

This is me, the moment I realized that it would be 5,000 times easier to just fuse them together, rather than sew them. And Eleanor was all ready to “help” me sew, too. Bummer.

It took one naptime to construct. Eleanor and Graham had a pretty great time ‘decorating’ it.

Eleanor couldn’t wait to put the star on top.

Felt Christmas Tree Tutorial

Graham couldn’t wait to eat the ornaments.

Felt Christmas Tree Tutorial

A few days later, it was still a fun toy. Eleanor is hoping that Santa remembers that we’ve moved. Hopefully, when we return after New Years, the big guy will have left something under our fancy tree.

1. December 12, 2010 12:05 pm

This is a brilliant idea! I love it.

• Wendy permalink
      November 11, 2012 8:08 am

I have a home daycare and this idea I LOVE!!!! The kids will love doing this over and over!!! Thanks!

2. December 12, 2010 12:19 pm

Brilliant! I have a friend who is living in an apartment while her house is being built. She helped her boys build a tinker toy tree. Your tree will be an awesome memory and it looks like the little ones are really enjoying it!

3. December 12, 2010 2:49 pm

What a great idea Shea! It’d be good for folks with a regular tree up too – this one the kids are welcome to move the ornaments around on :)

• Therese Ramsey permalink
      December 13, 2010 8:55 am

That is a spectacular idea and I can see it’s perfect for the kids! You are on a wonderful adventure as I am (I moved to AR.) I try to get up to KC for the Modern meetings often. Merry Christmas!

4. December 15, 2010 9:47 am

Love, love, love it!

5. January 4, 2011 9:43 am

hi shea! i met you at the meeting last night. i’m glad i found your blog! love this idea of the felt christmas tree – so creative!

6. October 18, 2011 1:22 pm

I love this idea! :) I am going to make one in November for our house!

7. Jenn permalink
    October 19, 2011 8:01 am

found this pinned on pinterest & can’t wait to make it! is “heat & bond” fusible interfacing? the ornaments are 3 layers: felt, interfacing, felt?

October 19, 2011 1:55 pm

You’ve got it! I fused the Heat N Bond to the top layer of felt, cut out the shape I wanted, then fused it down to the base layer (ornament). Easy-peasey and soooo fast! Have fun with it!

• Jenn permalink
        October 19, 2011 7:07 pm

Thank you! I went ahead & pinned your whole blog on my “The weblogs” pinboard because I’m enjoying it so!

8. October 19, 2011 10:46 am

Found you on Pinterest. As a grandma, I LOVE this idea!

9. October 19, 2011 5:32 pm

This might be a dumb question but did you sew the green pieces of felt together for the tree or did you have a big enough piece that you just cut it out?

October 19, 2011 9:28 pm

Not a dumb question at all! It’s one big piece, cut from the 72″ wide felt you can buy on the bolt. Check the newly updated link at the top of the post….. I made a (free!) set of instructions for download!

10. October 19, 2011 8:07 pm

Wish you had a shop on etsy …would love to buy this off of you :)

October 19, 2011 9:27 pm

I am so flattered, but you can totally make this yourself! Promise. You don’t even need to sew! Based on the number of people who found this recently via Pinterest, I’ve created a set of directions that you can download. I’ve included the templates and an alphabet. I’ve updated the post to include the download link at the top. Go for it!

11. October 20, 2011 7:51 am

This is such a cute idea!! Thank you so much for sharing!! I can’t wait to make one for my son!

12. October 20, 2011 1:49 pm

where did you get such a big piece of felt? this is a fantastic idea!!

October 22, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi there! Thank you! The felt is from a bolt of 72″ wide felt found at JoAnn. I actually just added a link at the top of this post with instructions and templates for the felt tree. Hope it helps! It’s really super easy and cheap and fun to make!

13. October 22, 2011 7:05 am

Great idea! And thank you for the instructions. :)

14. October 22, 2011 5:05 pm

What a cool idea!

15. Laura permalink
    October 23, 2011 8:40 pm

Thank you so much for the instructions!!!

16. Judy F. permalink
    October 24, 2011 9:39 am

You are so thoughtful – thanks for making the directions for this project. I, too, found you on Pinterest and was delighted you took pity on us. Thanks again for the fun idea. My grandchildren will love, love, love it.

17. kelly_jeanie permalink
    October 24, 2011 11:13 am

I love this – thank you!!

18. October 24, 2011 12:31 pm

found you on pinterest! and I have an Eleanor too :)

19. October 25, 2011 3:22 pm

I liked your fun little note at the top about pinterest. You sure are all over the place on there with this tree! I love this idea as I have a toddler and was already trying to figure out how it was going to go with a tree this year. I think this might help to give him something to touch and play with besides the real tree.

20. Becky permalink
    October 28, 2011 9:54 am

This is such a great idea. Thank you for the pattern!

21. October 29, 2011 1:26 am

Hi, I’m another one who has found your awesome blog via pinterest :) Have just been to a craft store to buy the felt to make this- can’t wait! Such a great idea and it will be so neat to bring out each year. Am really excited about making some neat ornaments – and getting my 4 year old make some too! Thanks heaps for the instructions. I love your busy book too, just linked to it on my facebook page. From Megan in NZ

22. October 29, 2011 8:27 pm

Hello again, just a quick question- did you fuse a base to each ornament to make it stronger? just wondering if I can get away with just doing the top bit or do you recommend putting another layer/base on each ornament? just worried that I will make them too heavy and more likely to fall off the felt tree as I am adding little embellishments to my ornaments! thanks so much, really enjoying making my ornaments :)

November 2, 2011 11:59 pm

Hi! I just had two layers for each ornament… the base was just the circle (or other desired shape) and then I fused the decoration part on top. They were pretty sturdy and look just as good today as they did the day I made them. Hope that helps! You’ll have to e-mail me a photo of your tree/ornaments. I’d love to see them!

23. October 30, 2011 7:37 pm

Love this! Just went and bought the green felt for the tree! Excited to let my girls decorate their tree this year! Thanks for a great idea!

24. Crystal permalink
    October 30, 2011 9:00 pm

Love this idea! My 2 year old will have so much fun decorating her own tree.

25. blueeyes permalink
    October 31, 2011 6:11 am

Thanks for posting this! I also found you via Pinterest. My boys will love this and hopefully will leave the ornaments on the real tree alone this year now that they’ll have their own tree to ‘decorate’!

26. November 4, 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks for the great download! I am finishing up an embroidered felt advent Christmas tree that I know I’m going to stress about my children ripping or getting dirty. This will be an absolutely perfect kid-friendly add-on!!!

27. Amanda permalink
    November 4, 2011 1:22 pm

This may be a silly question, but how do you get the ornaments to “stick” to the tree? Did you use velcro?

November 4, 2011 8:08 pm

Not silly at all! It’s actually super simple… felt sticks to felt. No velcro needed. I remember my preschool or kindergarten teacher having a felt story board when I was little. That thing was magic- we got to put little people on it as she told a story. The Christmas tree works the same way. I hope you make one and love it!

• December 2, 2011 11:35 am

Thanks for asking this question. I assumed felt stuck to felt, but wasn’t sure. You can definitely tell the crafting newbies out there! This is great and am headed out to make this. I actually have lots of felt crafts at the moment.

28. Suzanne permalink
    November 5, 2011 9:36 am

I love this idea! What a fun activity for the holidays! One more silly question: how did you hang the tree on the wall? Did you use tape or what?? Thank you again for this great idea!!

November 5, 2011 8:44 pm

Used command adhesive strips. We use those for so many things at our house!

29. Michelle permalink
    November 8, 2011 11:44 am

I love this idea! I have a huge piece of felt I purchased last year and didn’t end up making the craft to go along with it. I live in a bi-level house and the hallway with our bedrooms would be perfect for this. I am going to put the tree on my 3 year-old daughter’s door. I’m also considering putting a snowman on my 11-year-old daughter’s door, and a gingerbread man/woman on my door (made in the same way). This will decorate the hallway and give my little one hours upon hours of play during the Christmas season! Thanks for the great idea. BTW I found your blog on Pinterest =)

November 9, 2011 11:34 pm

Oh! Clever idea to make a snowman and gingerbread man. I could see my kids loving a weather-proof snowman! :)

• Michelle permalink
        November 10, 2011 1:24 pm

I just got my supplies today. I will let you know how it turns out—I’m very excited and have been telling everyone about this project!

• November 29, 2011 1:30 pm

I got my green felt and got a yard of white felt too. I think I may do the snowman as well. (one big one or maybe a couple of small ones) great idea!!!

30. November 14, 2011 9:29 am

I am ready to make this tree… but I am wondering if you could tell me if glue could be used instead of fusing them together. I am sure there is a reason- would you mind explaining why? Oh- and I found felt on sale at Michaels. They have big sheets of felt wrapped in plastic for $3.99, and I used a 50% off coupon- and that week (last week, actually) they had the smaller felt sheets for 5/$1. I am really looking forward to creating this, and it has given me a couple of other ideas as well!

November 14, 2011 10:03 am

Hi Katie! I think glue could be used, but I think it wold be messier and would leave a lumpy feeling between the layers of felt. HeatnBond is super easy to use and leaves a clean finish. Plus you don’t have to wait for it to dry and I am all for instant gratification. :)

Enjoy making it! Send me a photo!

31. November 14, 2011 9:58 am

LOVE this! We need a baby-proof tree in the living room this year. This will do the trick! And thanks for the updated instructions. Just ‘repinned’ and posted to my blog with credit to you :)

November 14, 2011 10:04 am

Yay! Glad you like it!

32. Paula permalink
    November 14, 2011 2:32 pm

Once the ornament is placed is it permantly there? I want to be able to redecorate it

November 15, 2011 1:05 am

Nope. Felt sticks to felt just enough to hold it in place until you move it again. Hope that helps!

33. November 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Just found this on pinterst. LOVE this idea. I know my little ones will love this!

November 16, 2011 10:37 pm

Yay! Have fun making it!

34. November 17, 2011 9:46 pm

This is such a great idea! I’m using it for my daughter’s Christmas themed birthday party. It’s bee renamed Pin the Star on the Christmas Tree. ;o)

35. November 18, 2011 5:23 am

Thank you for including the pattern.

36. November 22, 2011 8:20 am

I LOVE this idea. I am making my own this morning!!

37. November 22, 2011 11:45 am

Love the felt tree. I am a teacher at day school and I needed something the children could touch and enjoy.
    Mine looks more like a Charlie Brown tree .. And that’s what I wanted !
    Thanks
    Cindy

38. November 22, 2011 12:55 pm

Love this! Thanks for sharing!

39. November 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Found this on Pintrest. It is awesome! My son is CRAZY about Christmas trees, so I think I’m going to put this in his room, so he will leave the ornaments on the big tree alone. ;-) TFS!

40. Leah permalink
    November 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Getting ready to do this project with the kiddos on this cold, rainy day! I have a question….I opened the link at the top of the page with all of the directions, but are there any actual templates to print out? I don’t see any…unless I’m missing something.

Thanks!

• Leah permalink
      November 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Um, duh…didn’t see that there were multiple pages. :)

41. November 25, 2011 1:26 pm

i absolutely love this project! Found you on pinterest, shared a link to your post here: http://dollarstoremom.com/2011/11/pinterest-picks-17/

Thanks!

42. Fiona Reyna permalink
    November 25, 2011 7:15 pm

Brilliant – love this! Thanks so much for sharing (and all your explanations on how to make). I think you’re just awesome. ;)

43. April permalink
    November 27, 2011 7:19 pm

Love this idea! I am currently finishing up one for my kids. I’m having trouble getting mine to stick to the wall with command strips. Do you have any ideas?

November 27, 2011 9:32 pm

Hmm…. that’s interesting! We had textured walls when I first made this and I was afraid the adhesive strips wouldn’t work, but they did. I’ve also used them on flat walls without any trouble. I am assuming that you’re using the non-velcro type? Maybe try allowing the sticky side to stick to the tree for a bit (and press with your fingers) before trying to stick it to the wall? Sorry I am not more help for you. I hope it sticks!

• April permalink
        November 28, 2011 12:13 am

Thanks for replying! I fixed my problem. I think the command strips I used were not big enough. I bought larger command strips and now the tree is sticking fine to the strips :)

44. hollydays permalink
    November 27, 2011 7:49 pm

Wow! This is a great idea! Thank you for sharing! My DD (2.5 yo) was touching all the ornaments on the real tree so I grabbed my box of felt and cut a tree out and a few freehand ornaments to tide us over until I can make some more. Both girls loved it! Thank you again for the awesome idea!

45. November 27, 2011 9:36 pm

I’m so glad you posted this for all of us to see and share! I made my own tonight and can’t wait for the kids to see it in the morning! I linked you back on my blog post about it http://crafty-kris.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-snowman-fridge.html – Cheers!

46. November 28, 2011 12:47 pm

Thanks so much for doing a printable version! Love it!

47. November 28, 2011 12:48 pm

This is AWESOME! Not only good for homes with kids who can help decorate but also pets (cats especially) have nothing to tip over, no broken glass ornaments and burnt out lights! I’ve been wanting to make a Christmas calendar out of felt, same idea but there is one ornament for each day before Santa arrives. This would be just as easy to make with the felt I have hiding in a bin somewhere… Where do you get the fuse stuff?
    Happy Holidays :)

November 30, 2011 11:02 pm

Hi there! I get HeatnBond at JoAnn. You can buy it by the yard off a bolt or in a precut package. It can be found at most craft stores that sell fabric. Sometimes it’s under a different brand name, but it’s all pretty much the same. Hope that helps!

48. November 28, 2011 12:54 pm

This is so cute!! Thanks for sharing it. I just made one for my kids and they love it!

49. heidi permalink
    November 29, 2011 6:05 pm

Thank you for this great idea I have made three trees. One for my family and made two for gifts they are great for families with little people that are always re-decorating the tree :)

50. Lindsay McAlester permalink
    November 30, 2011 10:29 am

Thank you! We are staying with my dad over the holidays waiting for our new home. This is perfect!

51. Eskomo Kisses permalink
    November 30, 2011 1:55 pm

Can’t wait to make this for my kids! Thank you for sharing =)

52. littlemama permalink
    November 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Great post! Found you on Pinterest…you’ve gone viral! Congratulations on a wonderful blog!

53. Amanda permalink
    December 2, 2011 2:17 pm

I found this on Pinterest and am so excited…my girls wanted their “own” tree this year and this is so much cheaper than buying another tree…it takes up less space too :)
    I’ve made the tree and some decorations for it but I’m having trouble hanging it on the wall. The command strips won’t stick to the felt. Did you do anything to them to get them to stick? Any other suggestions on how to make it stick to the wall?

December 3, 2011 11:06 pm

Hmm… that’s interesting! I do know that I used one pack of the wider strips and another that I just had around that were the smaller/more narrow strips. I pressed it into the felt for a while before trying it on the wall. Our walls we had last year were bumpy (like a ceiling) and it still stuck, even though I was afraid it wouldn’t. Hope your get it to work!

54. kelly_jeanie permalink
    December 3, 2011 4:27 pm

I love this so much. I had such a good time making it and the kids are having fun decorating it. This was also my first time playing with Heat and Bond so I’m happy now that I know what that’s all about. :) Thank you so, so much for the awesome templates that made this such a fun project!

55. Amanda permalink
    December 3, 2011 7:40 pm

A friend shared this with me a while back and I recently began working on mine. At my sister’s suggestion, I’m making 25 different ornaments and it can be an advent calendar, too! I may need to get some heat and bond, though, as my Elmer’s glue is not doing very well sticking felt to felt. (accent pieces)

56. Connie permalink
    December 3, 2011 9:22 pm

What a GREAT idea!!! I think I’ll be buying felt tomorrow afternoon, so we an put this up in my 2-year-old preschool classroom on Monday!!! They will LOVE having a Christmas tree in our room! Thank you for sharing your creativity!!! :-)

57. December 4, 2011 11:08 am

Fantastic idea!! I just created one for my kids and they love it. Thank you! I wrote about your idea and linked back to your page. :)

58. December 4, 2011 11:32 am

This is fabulous! I am having a train party for my son next week and I was thinking about making a giant train and have the kids add all the extras! You are brilliant:) I am having my first ever linky party and you must come link this up!!!!

59. Amanda permalink
    December 4, 2011 9:48 pm

I don’t know if you can see this, but I’ve made 24 of my 25 ornaments. I wanted to include a link. I don’t have it on a blog, so this is just a pic of the ornaments. Thanks, again! It’s been a fun project!

60. December 5, 2011 7:39 am

Thanks for this! I made one and shared it on my blog today!

We totally cheated, though- The Melissa and Doug felt cookie set makes great tree ornaments :)

Melanie
    Sew Rugged @ bear rabbit bear
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

61. Adriana permalink
    December 6, 2011 5:22 pm

I am a total newbie with crafting. ALL CRAFTING! I have a question Will it work if i just cut out the tree out of felt and then cut the ornaments and just let her place them on. Or Do i have to do all the ornament steps you have?????.

December 6, 2011 9:34 pm

Absolutely! It would be a piece of cake to do it that way and would be just as fun for your kids.

62. Jenifer permalink
    December 6, 2011 9:00 pm

Just made a tree for my girls! I was so excited, but am having a little problem. I used velcro dots on each point of the tree in order to hang the tree on a door for the kids to use. Not sure about usind the command adhesive on a painted wall. Does it easily come off the wall without taking the paint off?

Thanks!!

December 6, 2011 9:38 pm

Command adhesive strips are, in my opinion, one of the greatest inventions ever. Do a quick google for their site (where you can also print coupons!) and you can see how they work. I buy the packs without the hanging hooks in them (I think the ones I buy are supposed to be refills for the hook packages). I use the velcro ones to hang all kinds of stuff in our house. It has never damaged any paint (eggshell, flat or semigloss) in our house.

Try them. Love them. Then buy them in bulk. :)

63. December 7, 2011 9:36 pm

Thank you for the wonderful idea. I just made one for my two year old granddaughter. Can’t wait for her to discover her surprise the next time she’s at our house!

December 8, 2011 9:58 am

How awesome! Grandma’s house will be even more of a hit!

64. Kristen Hershey permalink
    December 9, 2011 12:32 pm

Hi. I’m so excited…I just bought everything (I think) that I need to make this AWESOME felt Christmas tree. Thank you for the GREAT idea…I found you on Pinterest. :)

So, I have a silly question…How do you suggest mounting it to the wall? Painter’s tape?
    Thank you!

December 9, 2011 9:42 pm

Yay! Have fun making it! To attach it to the wall, I used Command Adhesive strips. Super easy and damage free! If you scroll back up in the comments there’s a spot or two where I gave more detail about it. Hope that helps!

• Kristen Hershey permalink
        December 12, 2011 7:03 am

Awesome! Thank you so much. :)

65. Britt permalink
    December 12, 2011 1:40 am

Thank you for this idea! I made my two girls a tree of their own this weekend and they love it! My 5 year old was very creative in designing the ornaments and the youngest (2) was very proud to be the one to place them on the tree! I am sure they will really enjoy playing this holiday season! All the best from the Netherlands – Britt

66. December 14, 2011 10:30 pm

I linked to you today on my blog where I wrote about making the felt tree. Thank you so much for sharing this great idea with us! Kelly

67. Sharlene Jones permalink
    December 18, 2011 8:41 pm

Thank you so much for this! How creative and fun, i know my kids will LOVE IT! your awesome, like, really;)

68. December 19, 2011 3:47 pm

I made this project this weekend with my Mom – it was a blast! I posted the details on my blog and linked back here. Thanks for such a great idea! Here’s the link to mine: http://www.abideathome.com/2011/12/19/felt-christmas-tree/

69. Lacey permalink
    August 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Awesome idea! We are moving into a new house the week before Christmas this year. I will be making this for our move so we can have a tree this yearand the girls can play while I start unpacking!! Thank you, I’m looking forward to making this..

70. Robin permalink
    October 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Hi! This is exactly the kind of technique I was looking for to make a felt advent calendar for my God son. Instead of a tree, I was thinking of making a manger scene which could be added to on each of the days in December. I love the Heat n Bond idea since I don’t sew!

Do I understand you that felt will stick to felt, so that he can place the figures where he wants, or can rearrange them? Or do I need to add a tab of velcro to the back of each figure?

Thanks for a great idea!

71. November 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your awesome idea! I am super excited to make a felt tree for my family! THANKS!

72. Debbie Wyler permalink
    December 6, 2012 10:55 pm

Thank you so much for this! Can’t wait to make one for my kiddos!

73. marie permalink
    July 4, 2013 1:29 pm

I love this idea, I will be passing this idea on to my local church for their Sunday school, what a fab idea, thank you xxx

Trackbacks

1. Our Thankful Tree | GreekMomma Our Thankful Tree | Bold. Fierce. Educated. Determined to make a difference.
  2. Pinterest Picks | Dollar Store Mom - Frugal Fun - Crafts for Kids
  3. Alberi di Natale – 50 e più progetti creativi – pagina 2 » La pappadolce
  4. Spotlight Sunday: Christmas « The Vegetarian Mom
  5. Felt Christmas Tree |
  6. 25 days of Felt Christmas Crafts Day 2 No sew Felt tree. « American Felt and Craft- The Blog
  7. Tiptoeing towards the christmas tree « A Bowl Full of Nuts
  8. Toddler Proof Christmas Tree (Pinterest Success!) - Mama's Gone Madison
  9. Our $0.79 Christmas Tree
  10. DIY Kids Christmas Tree | South Bend Tribune Blogs
  11. A Crafty Weekend! « Dodging Acorns
  12. How to Make a Toddler-sized Felt Christmas Tree – NO SEW!!
  13. Holiday Traditions {Guest Post} | thestylestork