A quilt for Oliver

January 19, 2011

Some friends of ours are expecting their first baby in the next month. The baby shower is this weekend and, although we can’t be there in Missouri to celebrate with them, we are obviously sending a gift. Along with my go-to baby shower gift, Baby 411, they’re getting a quilt. Insert advertisement here….if you or someone you know is having a baby, you NEED this book. Seriously. They say babies don’t come with instruction manuals, but “they” must not have read this book. We used it so much with both of our kids that now call it “The Book.” It’s actually funny and it’s easy to find the stuff you need to know. I’ve given one to every mom-to-be since Eleanor was born and each mom has mentioned over and over how much they use it. Now we’ve moved on to Toddler 411. OK. End of sales pitch. On to the quilt!

I wanted to make a zig zag quilt, since it’s a style I’ve not yet made. It was super easy and I used this method for making the half square triangles. Seriously. Watch it. It’s crazy how fast they go together! Side note…. I swear I’ve seen the woman in the video before. I still can’t place it, but I’m certain. That business is about 15 miles from my hometown, so I know I’m not losing it. At least I hope I’m not!

I am extra excited about the back of the quilt. I pieced some letters to spell out the baby’s name…. after one quick phone call to our friends to make sure they were set on the name. That would have been embarrassing at the shower! “Uh, thanks for the quilt, but we’d changed our minds….”

I got it all quilted up last night and shipped off to Kansas City this morning. I’ll post pictures of the finished quilt tomorrow!

1. January 19, 2011 7:03 am

I was very skeptical about that video (I mean, everyone already knows how to make HST’s, right?), but I watched it anyway, and ohmygosh, what a great idea!

Also, I’m really relieved to hear that there’s something akin to an instruction manual for babies! Just knowing that book exists has given me a bit of peace about the thought of having kids (at a hopefully somewhat distant point in the future).

Can’t wait to see the rest of that quilt!

January 19, 2011 5:17 pm

I know right? HST are supposed to be sewn with a square and that darned line drawn diagonally. I am a convert after trying this ‘new’ way. I didn’t even have to trim them up after opening up and pressing- only a couple needed it. I did, however, liberally use Best Press. The bias on them pulled a little so I had to be pretty careful.

2. Shelley C permalink
    January 19, 2011 10:26 am

What a sweet idea with the name on the back! Love your letter blocks!

January 19, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks! I used the book Word Play Quilts by Tonya Ricucci for the letters. It’s a neat book!

3. January 19, 2011 1:16 pm

Oliver’s name turned out great!

I’m curious about the thing under his name. Is it an ironing surface?

January 19, 2011 5:15 pm

Yes, it is a homemade pressing board! Totally stole the idea from sewing at someone’s house. It’s a piece of MDF, with two layers of batting and one layer of ironing board fabric wrapped and staple gunned to the back. I had a couple of pieces of MDF left over and ended up giving them to my mom and Jacquie. I’ll have to post about it some time. It’s pretty great- nice and wide and portable! It’s 2′ x 3′, if I remember correctly.

4. January 19, 2011 4:44 pm

I love zig zag quilts and also the name……my oldest grandson’s name..he’s almost 7 and it wasn’t a popular name then…how quickly things change! I just watched that video the other day….clever!

5. Julie permalink
    January 29, 2011 6:02 pm

We love the quilt. It is so awesome with the baby’s name on it. Thank you Shea for all your hard work. It will be cherished for many many years.