Introducing: The Seeing Squares Quilt Pattern!

March 3, 2011

modern quilt pattern, seeing squares quilt, quilt pattern, empty bobbin, quilt for boys

Yahoo! Pattern #2 is officially on the market! Can I tell you about it? Great. Thanks.

I am so giddy about being able to share these images!

Seeing Squares is a pattern in two sizes- a generous sized baby quilt or small lap quilt (48″ x 56″) and a large size that could be used on a twin bed (60″ x 84″). The pattern comes in booklet form- just like the Playhouse. Fewer pages, of course. But still the same illustration style. And in color, too! I’m a visual person, but I also like to check against charts and lists, so I worked to write directions that fit both styles of sewing. According to my testers, it made for a solid set of directions. Speaking of testers, can I tell you how much I appreciate mine? Melissa and Paula will get a big write up of their own in a couple of days. They are fantastic women!

At first glance, it looks like it would be difficult to piece it, but I promise I have a nifty way to assemble the top. And can we talk about the back? I also decided that my quilt patterns will include options for  a pieced backing.

I love to piece the backs of quilts, but sometimes after finishing a top I don’t get excited about calculating my cuts for the back. I’ve done the work for you!

pieced quilt backing, modern quilt, quilt pattern, modern quilt pattern

My goal with quilt patterns is this: to offer each pattern in at least two sizes AND to show completed quilts in several color options- including at least one made of solids. One great thing about this pattern is that it can help use up scraps!! Perfectly matched yardage is great, too, but not necessary. Did you hear me scrap busters?

Over the next couple of days, I’ll be featuring the four cover models in greater detail. (There’s a pink one that’s not shown here just yet!) Angela Walters did the quilting on all of them and I want to be sure you get to see some closeups of her work. Thanks to my photographer friend, Sarah of Sorell Images here in KC, I have some fantastic photos of these quilts. I just love that cover shot. Want to know something that is probably only mildly amusing to me? I’m actually on the cover. What’s that? You don’t see me? I’m right there, behind the door. Holding it up to be vertical. I even tilted my head and smiled for Sarah. See. I told you it would only be amusing to me.

You can find the pattern at many of the stores listed on my Patterns page, under “Where to Buy.” If you are looking for an online source, Pink Chalk Fabrics carries my whole line.

1. March 3, 2011 5:29 pm

omg…I LOVE the solids! This is so beautiful. Kudos to you!

March 3, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks so much! I have a post planned showing how it would look made up in several different solids combinations. I could make this quilt over and over!

2. Paula permalink
    March 3, 2011 5:34 pm

Beautiful quilts…all of them!

March 3, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks, Madame Tester. Especially that cover quilt, right? ;) You ROCK!!

3. March 3, 2011 7:54 pm

Beautiful! Can’t wait to see the pink version.

March 3, 2011 10:19 pm

Thank you! The pink one is adorable. Can’t wait to put up the photos!

4. March 3, 2011 8:36 pm

shea it looks great!!! i love all the color options!

March 3, 2011 10:20 pm

Thanks, Julie! I think it’s funny how the stars aligned and we both posted new patterns with “Angela quilting” on the same day!

5. March 3, 2011 9:10 pm

This pattern was so fun to make, Shea. Without a doubt, the best set of directions I’ve ever seen. I definitely plan on making another quilt with it. I think a scrappy one would be awesome!

March 3, 2011 10:22 pm

Thanks, Melissa. You sure know how to make a girl’s day, don’t you? You’re so sweet and one AWESOME tester. I am anxious to get the photos of your quilt on here!!

6. March 3, 2011 10:52 pm

This is awesome! Love it Shea!!

March 3, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks, Tammy! See you next week!

7. March 3, 2011 11:22 pm

Look at you! :) So proud that you’re following your dream. This is a beautiful pattern. Must.have.
    See you next week! :)

March 3, 2011 11:44 pm

Thanks, Kelly! For the compliment and for supporting my little business. Will I really see you next week or are you just tempting me? ;) Have a safe drive!

8. March 4, 2011 9:24 am

Shut up!! I love it Shea!! I’m so happy for you in starting up your business….inspires the rest of us! I absolutely love your sense of color!

March 4, 2011 11:21 pm

Thanks, Jody! It’s been a fun ride thus far. I am sooo excited to get the next couple of patterns out. It’s like having to wait for Santa or something… I’m trying to be patient! :)

9. Sharon B permalink
    March 4, 2011 10:00 am

Congrats, Shea! You rock! Love this pattern and can’t wait to see your other versions. Keep up the good work.

March 4, 2011 11:22 pm

Thanks, Sharon! The pink one will be shown next week. It’s super cute!

10. March 4, 2011 10:03 am

SHEA. I love this one even more than the playhouse! Aghhhhhh! The top version is screaming my name. Love love LOVE!

March 4, 2011 11:23 pm

Haha! Thanks! Lucky for you, on the inside of the pattern I’ve listed the fabric colors used for the cover quilt. It’s actually the test one that Paula made. Her color choices were just WAY too good to pass up for the cover!

11. Cricket permalink
    March 4, 2011 6:29 pm

This quilt makes my heart pound. Especially the solid. I’m not sure I have ever seen a completely solid quilt that I adore, by I definitely do adore this one. Great job!

March 4, 2011 11:25 pm

Oh, thank you! I have to give credit where credit is due- the color choices for the cover quilt were made by one of my testers, Paula. I asked her to test it in solids- whatever colors she wanted. In the middle of the photo shoot, we saw it on that door and knew instantly that it was the new “cover girl.” The inside of the pattern lists the colors that she used (and the amounts of each). I’m totally going to have to make one for myself now! :)

12. Kerri Kowal permalink
    July 21, 2011 5:24 pm

I just want to let you know that I just bought your Seeing Squares pattern at my LQS (Material Girls in Wichita) and I just love it. I am so impressed with the way it is printed and bound… very classy and much nicer than most quilt patterns I’ve purchased. The instructions are super clear and I cannot wait to start cutting some fabric for it! Kudos!!

13. Sharonkay permalink
    August 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Where is pink one?

14. September 18, 2013 8:58 am

beautiful quilts loved your sight very colorful enjoyed reading through thanks!!

Trackbacks