Introducing: Cover Up- A Sewing Machine Cover Pattern!

May 13, 2011

Sewing machine cover pattern, sewing machine pattern, empty bobbin, modern sewing pattern

I am so thrilled to get to click “publish” on this little post! My third pattern is officially on the market! Cover Up is a sewing machine cover pattern with three different style options. Sewing machines come in a giant array of dimensions, and I wanted to take that into account. This was one of the most crucial points in the testing of this pattern. The directions are written in such a way that every bit of the cutting instructions is based on the measurements of YOUR machine! My testers sew on everything from a petite machine to the giant Bernina 820 and others in between, like my Janome 6500.  We didn’t rest until the directions were clear and worked for any machine.

Like all of my patterns, Cover Up comes in a sturdy booklet format with full color, illustrated instructions.

The cover is fully lined and it has (what I think are) some nice finishing details to make it both wonderful to look at and well made.

This is a pattern that has so many options and I’d love to share some with you.

Style One showcases a single print in the center panel:

Style Two is an easy pieced panel. I chose Moda Cross Weaves for mine. (The specific fabrics are listed inside the pattern for what we used to make both cover samples)

Style Three involves a panel of wonky pieced strips. I used some scraps for my center panel:

Jaime, one of my testers, made the gorgeous lime version on the cover. She also wanted to play with some piping and did a variation on a Style Three. I loved her results so much that bonus instructions are included for making Cover Up with some piping! Isn’t that large scale fabric she chose just awesome?

Want to grab a copy of the pattern for yourself? You can find the pattern in digital form in my PDF pattern shop or in paper form at many of the stores listed on my Patterns page, under “Where to Buy.” If you are looking for an online source, Pink Chalk Fabrics carries my whole line. I’d love to see one when you finish it!

Are you a retail store interested in carrying this or other patterns? Use the e-mail link to the right to contact me for wholesale terms or contact your United Notions, Checker, Brewer or Petersen-Arne rep.

Oh, and the photography? My friend Sarah of Sorell Images here in Kansas City did another fabulous job! I sure love her work!

1. May 13, 2011 6:26 pm

Super cute, Shea! I think I’ll be picking one of these up very soon :) Also, I wanted to tell you I just finished my Seeing Squares quilt top! I’m going to quilt it soon and see if Paula wants to take it to her class for an example. I’m updating my blog tonight, so if you want to see a pic, it’ll be there! See you next week at guild!

May 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks, Caitlin! I bet she’d take you up on it! Headed over to your blog to see it not! See you soon!

2. May 14, 2011 12:51 am

Love the pattern… I have been looking for one… also… I want that fabric on the last one… do you know what it is called so I could find it.. so cute.

May 15, 2011 2:30 pm

Hi, Joy! Thanks for your compliment. I checked with Jaime, who made that test version. She said it is a Kokka fabric and she purchased it at a local store here in Kansas City. The store is Bon Bon Atelier and you can buy it on their website- bonbonatelier.com . It’s under the name “Sew Lady.” Hope that helps!

• May 15, 2011 8:17 pm

Thank you so much for checking for me.

3. May 15, 2011 8:02 am

Congrats Shea! Love the photographer too.
    PS FINALLY working on your Pieced Together block today. So sorry to be so far behind.

May 15, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks, Cheryl! I am always so excited to get the photos back from her. No worries on the block- I’ll be excited to see what you came up with!

4. May 15, 2011 11:07 am

Definitely on my to-do list!

May 15, 2011 2:28 pm

Yay! I’d LOVE to see it if you make one!

See you this week!

5. May 16, 2011 7:06 pm

Hey Shea! SO great to meet you! Your fabulous and so are your patterns! good luck with them!

6. Carmen permalink
    May 18, 2011 11:23 am

It was great meeting you in SLC, Shea! Good luck to you and Empty Bobbin! See you in Kansas City for next year’s Market :D

7. May 20, 2011 10:22 am

it was great to meet you at quilt market!

8. May 20, 2011 12:43 pm

It looks great, Shea! Congratulations on finishing it up!

9. May 20, 2011 1:13 pm

Love these Shea! So nice to see all the different options.

Great presentation last night, by the way :)

10. Mary Val permalink
    February 26, 2013 3:42 am

I love this pattern — have made it up twice for 2 different sized sewing machines as gifts. It’s the best machine cover pattern out there, in my opinion. The covers fit the machines they were intended for perfectly. I flat felled the seams and bound the lower edge with left-over quilting binding. Thanks! I will use this pattern again.