Windy City: a quilt for Jacquie

This quilt has a very fast and furious history. With lots of admiration and respect thrown in for good measure. Five weeks ago, Jacquie announced that she was moving to Chicago. Translation= she was leaving the guild we started together. She’d already called me with an “Are you sitting down?” greeting and I knew in my heart what she was about to tell me. My husband is in the consulting profession, too, and I know that sometimes you just have to move in order to see your husband on more than a ‘weekends only’ basis. I thought to myself, “Shea, let the first thing out of your mouth be a positive statement.” But I was so bummed. Before I hung up the phone, I’d already formulated a plan.

I’m sure she knew I was up to something, as begged me not to ‘make a fuss.’

I said I wouldn’t.

She told me I was full of ____.

And she was right.

A few quick e-mails later, the plan for the Windy City quilt was in motion. The members of the Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild are, quite simply, some of the very best people I know. The guidelines were:

• make a signature block that is 6.5″ (unfinished)
  • use shades of orange (Jacquie’s favorite), gray, black and white
  • piece it improvisationally if possible, because that is what Jacquie is all about
  • and, one more thing….. do these blocks by the meeting the following week. Eek!
Two members, Melissa and Paula, were the point people at the August meeting. They gathered the blocks in stealth mode, I am told. Since I was still on the West Coast, I had to mail my own block in and my mom (bless her!) pieced the top and back together. Angela (bless her, too!) quilted it and then my mom and I tag teamed the binding.
But the truly amazing work came from the members of the guild who created some of the most thoughtful and beautiful blocks ever. My mom and sister were sending me text message photos of the blocks on their drive home from the meeting that night!
There are 64 blocks and not a single one is duplicated. Just look at them!
Jaime, our resident Bernina pusher queen, make this fabric Bernina. It is incredible!
Andrea tried a new to her technique for her “I am loved” block. I need to ask her how she did that!
For my part, I wanted to make a block that looked like two opposing city skylines. Around one set of ‘buildings’ I wrote a message to her. Around the other, I wrote a list of things we’ve shared together over the last two years: ‘Ning debates. Panera dates. Long phone calls. Laughter. Market hotel shenanigans. Friendship.’ (Oh, Ning.com. How we do regret not sticking with you!)
I think the best part is that, for many people, this was one of the first times where they really ‘let go’ and improvised their piecing. ┬áThat is one tangible bit of evidence of Jacquie’s influence on the guild. All the best teachers leave you wanting to learn more, long after your time in their classroom is over. (Not that the guild is a classroom and she the teacher…. I think you know what I mean there.)
We decided on a plan to present the quilt to her by showing it as the last quilt in Show and Tell at our meeting last night. She probably didn’t notice 80 people shifting in their seats and sitting up a little more as the moment neared, but I sure did. It was fun to introduce the quilt and watch her face as she realized what it was and that it was all for her.
Then she wore it as a cape. Mission accomplished!
The layout for the quilt was similar to a quilt that Carla made recently. We changed some dimensions, but the overall feel is the same. We knew the blocks needed to be broken up a bit, but we didn’t want to do plain old sashing. Just in case anyone is planning to do something similar, here is the pattern sheet I sent to my mom for piecing: Windy City quilt top directions.
I know it wasn’t the last time we’ll see Jacquie at a KCMQG event. And it sure won’t be the last time I see that quilt… I told her to expect a houseguest in Chicago!

23 Responses to Windy City: a quilt for Jacquie

1. felicity September 9, 2011 at 10:27 pm #

What a great story, a gorgeous quilt and a *most* deserving recipient. Kudos to you all!

2. vicki September 9, 2011 at 10:48 pm #

it’s beautiful. I’m so sad I wasn’t able to be there last night. Going to miss you ladies….

3. Mary Anne September 9, 2011 at 11:21 pm #

I’m thinking Jacquie looks pretty happy about the “fuss”!!! Thanks to you, Mary, Angela, Melissa and Paula for helping to pull this quilt together. I am thrilled and honored to have been a part. Awesome job ladies, and GORGEOUS BLOCKS KC MQG!

4. Cille September 10, 2011 at 12:45 am #

It is a stunning quilt. Every one on the blocks makes it ‘come together’. I go uhhh and ahhhh over so many unique features on this one. And it looked like she really loved the gift as well :)

5. monica September 10, 2011 at 3:16 am #

quilters ARE the best people.

Beautiful.

6. Cindy L September 10, 2011 at 5:02 am #

What a wonderful gift! I’m sure she’ll treasure it! And now you have a friend in Chicago – a great place to visit. If you go through St Louis – we have a modern quilt store opening next weekend. In Webster Groves – called fabric Nosherie.

7. Hannah September 10, 2011 at 5:35 am #

I saw the photos Nikki posted on Flickr, and I was really hoping I’d get to hear the whole story of this quilt soon. It really is stunning. You guys did a seriously fabulous job.

8. DakotaEssence September 10, 2011 at 8:07 am #

Absolutely awesome gift! Thanks for sharing the adventure.

~Jillian in North Dakota

9. LeslieUnfinished September 10, 2011 at 12:56 pm #

What a wonderful gift! I love the choice of colors too.

I hope you’ll let us in on the secret of Andrea’s “I Am Loved” block when you find out. Thanks for sharing!

10. Emily {creative chicks} September 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

Beautiful blocks, beautiful quilt!

11. Cindy September 10, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Wow! This is a beautiful quilt. Completely impressive work – really heart warming too!

12. Jan September 10, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Wow! Before I even read the rules or looked closely at the quilt, I was smiling at the heartfelt sentiment and beautiful work that brought this special quilt to life! I’ve gotten to know Jacquie a little bit via the internet, and it’s quite apparent, she’s a gem. I’m so happy to see a few of my Shades of Grey fabrics were included in these fun blocks!

13. sewmama September 10, 2011 at 6:08 pm #

What a beautiful gift! I’m sure Jacquie was thrilled.

14. Carla September 10, 2011 at 8:01 pm #

It turned out so awesome, Shea! Thanks for posting all the pictures…ALMOST like seeing it in person. Isn’t that setting the best…really makes a simple quilt more complicated, doesn’t it!

15. Kelly September 10, 2011 at 8:57 pm #

SO cool that you did this. :) I love it. Wish I’d been there to see it. I’m coming in October. I am. Really. Maybe we can meet up for dinner… :)

16. Heather September 11, 2011 at 10:44 pm #

What a fabulously conceived and executed gift! And so quickly, too! Wow! A true treasure for someone who is obviously revered by many.

17. Elizabeth September 12, 2011 at 8:50 am #

It is so beautiful! Each block is so unique. I really wish I could have been there in person.

18. kate@ swimbikequilt September 12, 2011 at 7:22 pm #

This quilt makes me want to cry and I’m not even in your guild! Beautiful.

19. Viv September 13, 2011 at 3:06 am #

What a fantastic quilt and lovely story of the fantastci people involved in your quilt guild. I’m sure Jacquie is totally feeling the love.

20. Kate September 16, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

It’s awesome what is NOT to love.

21. Sarah :: greenclogs September 30, 2011 at 8:37 am #

Really really beautiful! I think those collaborative bee quilts are the best quilts of all.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Kansas City in 20 photos « West Coast Crafty - September 14, 2011

[…] their 100th and 101st paid members (!!), and the show and tell ended with a teary surprise – Shea organized a beautiful collective gift for beloved outgoing president Jacquie, a quilt called Wi…. Then I gave my log cabin quilting presentation (from right where I snapped that photo) and people […]

2. MLCQ visits KCMQG! « Modern Log Cabin Quilting - September 15, 2011

[…] I was so excited to see my dear friend Rhonda, who came from Lawrence to see me!! We’ve known each other for ten or eleven years through crafty things online and it was awesome to get to give her a hug in person. The meeting was amazing – KCMQG got their 100th and 101st paid members (!!), and the show and tell ended with a teary surprise – Shea organized a beautiful collective gift for beloved outgoing president Jacquie, a quilt called Wi…. […]