Sanity Check…. I started another Quiet Book

October 5, 2011

Someone check my sanity level, please.

I’ve started on another Quiet Book. This time, for Graham! I love this boy. And his red hair.

Graham turns two next week and Eleanor got her Quiet Book for her second birthday last summer. That post gets so much traffic. Seriously, quiet books must be taking the world by storm based on the number of people who keep finding it. (Hi, Pinterest pinners!)

I know I won’t make it in time for his birthday. Maybe Christmas. Maybe Valentine’s Day. Having made Eleanor’s in two (crazy) months, I know that it is not a quick project. Lots of late nights and planning and fabric picking. Last time I made one, he was a little baby who napped twice a day. Now, there are two active kids around the house and a whole lot less napping going on. Oh, and then there’s that little business that’s popped up in the meantime. So, I’m saying it now: this will take time. Probably lots of it. I will share photos of my progress, though!

I’m planning to make several of the pages the same as Eleanor’s and put a boy-ish spin on others. The button on flowers will become button on planets or a football/basketball/baseball. The pink All Star high top will become red. I got a lot of people asking me how I did the suitcase, so maybe (and this is not a promise!) I’ll show how I did that….if I can remember!

First mission: The Eye Spy page! I am so glad that I’d already cut most of these out as I’d made Eleanor’s. I totally patted myself on the back when I opened the tub and began working on this!

And I was even more excited when I saw that several of the pieces were totally finished. I got that feeling you get when you find a $10 bill from the previous winter in your coat pocket. Huzzah!

So…. any bets on how long this will take me!? Winner gets a quiet book.

Of course I am kidding. I might be crazy, but I’m not that crazy!

1. October 5, 2011 4:37 pm

What a lucky boy! Based on your stellar results with your first quiet book, I’m sure your son’s book will be amazing! What lucky children to have gifts made with love that they can enjoy and pass on to future generations.

October 5, 2011 11:39 pm

Oh, thank you. I definitely want these to be passed down, so making them is a lot of fun…. imagining who might play with them one day. That is, of course, assuming that I get this one finished. Ha!

2. October 5, 2011 5:10 pm

I just peeked back at the post about the one that you made for Eleanor, and it’s great! My mum made me one from a pattern when I was a little girl, and I LOVED it. I don’t remember every page, but I know that one had an alligator with a zipper mouth, and if you opened the mouth there was a stuffed pink tongue inside! That would be perfect for a little boy!

It’s funny, because my mum was actually just looking for the pattern for that book because she wanted to make another one, but she couldn’t find it anywhere (it HAS been almost 30 years…). So perhaps you should make up a pattern to sell while you’re at it? I know my mum will buy one!

October 5, 2011 11:30 pm

Thank you! Isn’t it funny what things trigger a memory of a toy you had when you were growing up? That happens to me all the time.

I don’t plan to do a pattern…. the one from The Quilted Fish is a good one because you can easily modify pages to fit your own kids and the basic book construction/assembly is sturdy and easy to follow. I will be more than happy to share how I make some of the pages that are different from the ones in the pattern I used, though. Maybe the Converse All Star or the mailbox or the suitcase could become tutorials or something. We’ll see!

3. October 5, 2011 5:32 pm

I would totally buy a pattern, too, Shea. Or even be a pattern tester! In any case, I need to make one of these for Henry before he gets too big and I have zippo free time (because I have so much already!).

October 5, 2011 11:38 pm

You are funny. No pattern plans for this, that’s for sure! Amanda at The Quilted Fish has it covered with hers (the one that I used for the basic book construction and a few pages).

And, yes, enjoy that free time now, girl!

4. October 5, 2011 7:06 pm

Oh, oh, oh!!! I am so excited to see how Graham’s book comes out! I have longlingly looked at your previous book at least weekly since you posted pictures. Every time I walk into a fabric store it is on my mind, and I contemplate fabric choices all the while. I was thinking about making two for this Christmas for out twins but I am not sure it will get accomplished in time. Keep us posted in the meantime. BTW, I have a five year old Graham. Best name ever.

October 5, 2011 11:36 pm

You are too sweet! Start now and give yourself a goal of next Christmas. Surely they’ll get done at some point before they enter middle school, right? Ha! It really would be much easier to make them assembly line style, so I envy you! I started to ours that way, but abandoned the idea when I knew I wanted to get it done for E’s birthday last summer. Now I am wishing I would have stuck with it… I’d be done already! Oh, well! It wouldn’t be nearly as ‘thrilling’ of a finish I guess.

Yes, the name Graham is a good one! We sure love it. You have great taste! :)

5. Mary Anne permalink
    October 5, 2011 8:08 pm

I know it will be super-cute…and Graham won’t realize that it was a little late for his 2nd birthday. BTW…double bonus points for using “huzzah!” in a sewing blog post! ;-)

October 5, 2011 11:32 pm

Double bonus points!? Man! I’ll have to whip out some fancy vocab more often then! Haha!

6. October 11, 2011 9:30 am

I’m feeling sort of foolish for asking what seems like it must be an obvious thing, but…. how does the eye spy page work? Are there magnets inside each square? Is it like a memory game? can you move the squares?

7. October 12, 2011 5:59 am

I’m new to looking at your blog, but I am absolutely in awe of this quiet book. Such a great idea! That looks like a lot of work though! I like your images, but do you by any chance have patterns for these pages? I’d love to make something like this. I’m not that good at sewing to be as intricate with details as you are, but I’d love to do something like this. Let me know if you have any patterns or dimensions for these pages/objects in the book. Thanks!

8. October 26, 2011 10:48 pm

I’m wondering about the eye spy page too. How does that work?

November 3, 2011 12:04 am

Hi! It’s basically a matching game. One set of squares all on the page and the other (matching) pieces are individual squares that match up to the page using magnets. The pattern directions explain all of the details for that page, but that’s the gist of it. I hope that helps!

9. Melissa F. permalink
    November 14, 2011 2:17 pm

Hi! I found your blog through your felt Christmas tree pattern and I am totally in love with these quiet books! What a great idea! I have 3 year old boy/girl twins and I think these would save my sanity in public. I would love any tutorials for the pages you did on your own like the mailbox or the shoe. Have fun making your son’s book. You are an inspiration to me!

November 16, 2011 10:46 pm

You are way too kind! I am hoping to get back to work on my son’s book soon (we are in the process of moving!) and will try to do a tutorial or two on the pages that are different from the ones described in the pattern as I go along (like the mailbox, house and Converse All Star). Stay tuned! I won’t be speedy, but I will eventually get it finished! :)

10. November 16, 2011 8:51 pm

I posted a comment on your other post about this amazing project then I “ran” over to The Quilted Fish to buy the pattern but it’s not there anymore…Or I’m just not seeing it…Help…

11. ksenia permalink
    January 9, 2012 4:53 pm

Your daughter’s was the best cloth quiet book I have found! And trust me, I have searched far and wide. I am purchasing the quilted fish pattern, but am putting in another request for the suitcase and converse tutorial :) Please, please, pretty please!

12. Kelly permalink
    June 27, 2012 6:55 pm

I was wondering where you found the majority of your pieces for the I spy game. I love this book! So inspiring!!!