Wonderland: A Christmas Tree Skirt pattern!

On to part two of the new Christmas patterns! The Wonderland Tree Skirt!

This pattern has two different looks: wonky or straight piecing and two options for fabric choices- a variety of fat quarters or a two tone look.

It’s very fast to piece and finish. You know what that means? You can make one and still have plenty of time for other Christmas crafting!

Mary Anne, who was a tester for this pattern, is to be thanked a million times over. She gave me some excellent feedback on the bias binding instructions and I was able to adjust the illustrations and instructions so that it was a better fit for the pattern. I cannot stress enough how great it is to have people who will be thorough and detailed in their pattern testing feedback. I am one lucky lady to have the testers that I do.

One of my favorite things about the pattern is the button closure. It is much more easy than you imagine and keeps the skirt from shifting around under the tree. And really? Isn’t picking buttons part of the fun anyway?

There are a few strips left over after piecing the top and I ended up offering an additional set of directions in the pattern to make this bonus table topper. It’s so easy to make. Use some Insul-bright instead of batting, and you’ve got an instant spot for hot dishes on your table!

wonderland, tree skirt pattern, quilted tree skirt, Christmas tree skirt pattern, empty bobbin, modern tree skirt, table runner

My friend Angela Walters did the quilting on the tree skirts. I love how it shows up in the shot cotton two tone sample!

The photography is all from my friend Sarah Sorell. Working with friends and supporting their businesses is a major part of why I love doing what I do. They are so talented!

If your Christmas tree is in meed of a quick spruce up, you can find the pattern at many of the stores listed on my Patterns page, under “Where to Buy.”  If you are looking for an online source, Pink Chalk Fabrics carries my whole line.I’d love to see one when you finish it!

Tell me…. are you planning to make something for yourself  and your own home this Christmas? What’ll it be? There just might be incentive to answer. (hint, hint)

——

Thanks to all who entered the book tour giveaway for Quilt Retro! The winner is Shirley! Jenifer will be sending your book via the jolly postman! Congrats!

, , , ,

14 Responses to Wonderland: A Christmas Tree Skirt pattern!

1. marcia k October 19, 2011 at 3:00 pm #

Wow, really loving that red on red tree skirt choice! Fantastic work!

2. Michelle K. October 19, 2011 at 3:01 pm #

Your patterns are beautiful! I have been sewing and quilting table runners for each season and holiday this year. Just finishd up Halloween and Fall/Thanksgiving. So next will be Winter and Christmas.

3. Andrea October 19, 2011 at 4:32 pm #

I really love your Christmas patterns – can’t wait to get started on some stockings and a Christmas tree skirt for my own home. I decided when I saw the stocking pattern to get started on a set of stockings for me and my husband – and now I’ll make a skirt too! I love sewing for holiday gift-giving – I get to see everyone smile when they see something I made for them. After all the hustle and bustle of the holidays, I love to sit at home when it’s cold and sew for my own home – just delightful!

4. ohangelina October 19, 2011 at 8:23 pm #

i’d love to make this for both myself and my mother!!!
    might have to buy pattern…i’d love to test for you in the future!
    angela
    imisswaylon@Hotmail.com

5. Sheila October 19, 2011 at 10:37 pm #

This is wonderful!! I’m super cash-strapped at the moment (just finishing grad school = huge student loans and no income yet), so I’ve already informed my family that this is going to be a handmade Christmas for me. Which is frankly probably better than a store-bought one, anyway! I’m hoping to make myself a festive runner, and a tree skirt for my SIL, an iPad case for my sister…and the list goes on. It’s going to be a busy November!

6. Krista October 20, 2011 at 9:31 am #

I think it’s so great that your patterns always have different options. You definitely do things right! I’d like to sew up some Christmas pillows and a table runner this year. But otherwise I’ve got so many other things to sew for deadlines/craft fairs that I’m not sure I can do much else.

7. Elizabeth N. October 20, 2011 at 10:16 am #

I love this pattern Shea!! I’m definitely going to grab it the next time I am at Bernina. Our tree has a very sad skirt I bought from k-mart 5+ years ago and it is time for an upgrade.

8. Mary Anne October 20, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

You’re welcome a million times over! It’s my pleasure – and now I have a super-cute new tree skirt. BUT…I am going to gift my test pattern and make another one for me. Hmmm…some matching stockings may be in order? Can’t wait to see what Empty Bobbin Sewing Studio comes up with next!

9. Emily December 6, 2011 at 5:29 am #

Hi! Just wanted to let you know I will be featuring this skirt in a round-up tomorrow, hope you’ll stop by and check it out! http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

10. Sew Katie Did December 18, 2011 at 7:45 am #

I love the runner and the skirt! Maybe next year I’ll get it together to make one with this pattern.

11. Dana October 19, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

My friend and I just returned from the fabric store and will each be making the tree skirt (and hopefully table runner too) together! Fun!! Will share pics when we finish.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Winners « Quiltingismytherapy's Blog - October 21, 2011

[…] that I plan on making is a new Christmas tree skirt for our christmas tree. I quilted one for Shea’s new quilt pattern and I wanted to keep it for […]

2. Easy Sew Holiday Patterns | Round Up of Easy Christmas Patterns - November 20, 2012

[…] Christmas Tree Skirt by Empty Bobbin Sewing […]

3. Quick Christmas Crafts » LoveSewing magazine - December 2, 2013

[…] and love with friends and family. The table is often the centre of that and creating a beautiful holiday table runner, like the one pictured above from Empty Bobbin, is an easy way to give your holiday décor a unique […]