Preschool Teachers Rule

January 6, 2012

Our kids attend a local preschool two full days a week. I tell you, it’s good for all parties involved.

They each have two teachers and I think the world of them. During a fall with so much transition, it has been wonderful to know that these teachers are a steady presence and that they learned the little ins and outs of our kids quickly. We’d just moved back from San Diego but my husband was still traveling there every week to finish up a work assignment, our house wasn’t quite finished yet so we were living at my parents’ house (bless you, Mom and Dad) and 95% of our belongings were elsewhere. Because preschool started September 1st, it meant a 40 minute commute twice a week to Kansas City get them there. I became very good at killing a day in Kansas City. (Thanks for the free WiFi, Panera!)

Long story short, these teachers were an essential piece of the puzzle in our move. The kids LOVE this preschool (so do we), so it was a mostly uneventful transition. But there were moments where I could tell that the hectic stuff was getting to them. Thankfully, we’re back to ‘normal’ (whatever that is!) and our 40 minute commute is now a mere four minutes door to door. It’s pretty sweet.

With kids of my own in ‘school’, I find myself on the flip side of teaching. In the short 7 years that I taught, I think I got over 20 coffee mugs. They were all cute and whatnot but…fun fact… I don’t drink coffee. Ha!

I knew I wanted to make something for them for Christmas and picked the Zippy Strippy bag pattern from Atkinson Designs (I found mine at Pink Chalk). The pattern includes directions for three sizes and I made the medium size. It’s super easy and fast to make these. And, I could stand in the button section of the store picking buttons for hours. Don’t tell me that hasn’t happened to you, too.

The kids each took turns sitting on my lap as I sewed these together. Graham loves to put his hands on top of mine, thinking that he’s pushing the fabric through. There was a draft of sorts once I had them all done. I let the kids pick which one each teacher would get. It was funny watching them decide!

Will they be used for makeup? Car essentials? Who knows. I’ll tell you what my kids think they are…..

M&M holders.

Not a bad idea, really.

1. January 6, 2012 8:06 am

Very cute. I made gathered pouches for my grandkids’ preschool teachers. We love our teachers too.

2. January 6, 2012 9:05 am

So funny! I just posted these bags, too! Isn’t it a great pattern? I’m a longarmer, so I just quilted up random blocks on the quilting machine, but the concept is the same. Love yours and I had the same question- what would they use it for? I am sure each of them will find their own unique purpose. Best wishes!

3. January 6, 2012 9:08 am

Those are really cute! I love the shape and the way they stand up. I’ll have to remember that pattern. :) Oh, and I love the color combinations, too!
    My little girl’s preschool teachers are heaven-sent. Really. I think that there should be a special place in heaven for good preschool teachers. :) Isn’t it just THE BEST feeling knowing that these special people love our little people and do things with them that we can’t? Heaven-sent.
    I made infinity scarves for Mrs. R and Mrs. B since the winter and spring weather here can be cccccccold in the morning, but toasty by afternoon. I think they liked them. :)

January 9, 2012 8:49 pm

OH! Infinity scarves!! I will have to remember that idea for sure! A few people in our guild have made them and they always look great. Now… I shall attempt to remember this idea for the next 11 months. :)

4. January 6, 2012 9:49 am

Such colorful bags! I love how you’ve embellished each one a little differently.

I know what you mean about the gazillion mugs:) Being a teacher before, I had a hard time helping Jenna choose a gift for her teachers this Christmas. I wanted it to be useful. I ended up with baking spices for one (for her holiday baking) and Starbucks gift cards for the other since she was traveling to see family. I love the idea of something handmade though and these little bags are perfect since they can be used for so many things. I have this pattern in my collection thinking I’d try out my first zipper with it. My mom has made us some little bags and they are wonderful for carrying around Polly Pockets and My Little Ponies when we’re traveling…matchbox cars would probably work too.

Do the “big box” stores carry fun buttons?

5. January 6, 2012 10:25 am

These are SO cute, Shea! I would love to have received them as a teacher gift! I really wish I knew how to sew so I could partake in these fun adventures with you. Hope you’re having a great day! I’m bringing lunch to you in the next couple of weeks. We need a date and I owe you. I’ll be in touch!

6. January 6, 2012 11:27 am

Should I start make gifts for Henry’s future teachers now? I think so. Also, I now want M&Ms. That should be my guild snack for the month! (My birthday is in three weeks. Let the celebration commence!)

7. January 7, 2012 3:24 am

These are really cool! I think about such practical gifts but have not made any yet. I like each one and the idea to let the kids decide whom to give each bag too!

8. February 5, 2012 6:39 pm

i love these! it can be hard to come up with gifts for teachers! i made our 4 preschool teachers quilted list takers for christmas, but i think these bags may need to be on the list for next year!

Trackbacks