A Quilt in the (Blogless) Forest?

March 14, 2012

I’ve joked with some friends before about the ‘issue’ of quilts made by people who don’t blog about them. I asked, “If a quilt is made and not blogged about, is it like a tree falling in the forest with no one around? Does it actually exist?” (kidding, of course!)

My darling and talented mom is a blog-less quilter. So, to help her quilts see the light of day here on the interwebs, I’m sharing them with you today!

This one is her Cross Quilt, made after she saw Carla’s Anniversary Crosses quilt at a guild meeting. It was part of an online bee, actually. I was in the bee and someone dropped out, so she took the open spot. She got about 24 blocks that way and filled in the rest. The colors are great because they are simultaneously the team colors for the high school in my hometown, the college where my parents met AND also the university our state is excited to cheer on this month… the Mizzou Tigers!

I love what she did with the back!

But never ask my husband to “show the backside” or this is what you’ll get:

Note how our daughter is learning his sassy ways!

Up next…. this giant log cabin block quilt was made for a little baby boy born to a family friend. My mom made it right around the time that Susan Beal spoke to the KCMQG about her book Modern Log Cabin Quilting.

She used the backing fabric as her color guide, then cut strips and put them in a paper bag (a la Denyse Schmidt). Whatever she pulled out, she used next.

You can see her quilting a little better in this one. Straight lines in the white and a block-y looking stipple in the rest. I am pretty sure those blocks are about 18″ square and the white is about 5″ (or something close to that).

She does a great job, don’t you think?

1. March 15, 2012 7:29 am

Yes, she does do a great job!
    And yes, her quilts still exist!

2. March 15, 2012 7:30 am

Oh Thanks for sharing your Mom’s lovely work! I agree 100% with your statement about quilts in hiding. I see the most wonderful quilts at our guild meetings and trying to take a photo is like trying to get a photo of Nessie or BigFoot…it’s always blurry and out of focus.

March 18, 2012 9:15 pm

Hahah! The Nessie comment made me laugh out loud! It’s almost like ‘if I don’t snap a pic, I’ll never see this again!’

3. Libby permalink
    March 15, 2012 7:44 am

Your mom does a wonderful job! I too agree with your statement about quilts in hiding ~ never thought about it like that ~

4. March 15, 2012 7:45 am

oh my gosh! They are so beautiful! I just made a cross quilt so that one especially took my eye!! LOVE mom’s quilting!! Thanks for sharing on her behalf!

5. Mary permalink
    March 15, 2012 9:15 am

What a nice surprise to see my quilts on a blog!! This non-blogger appreciates the shout out.
    Makes me want to head right up to the bonus room and get stitching:)
    Love you-Mom

6. March 15, 2012 11:01 am

Your mom’s quilts are beautiful! I love her quilting on the log cabin one. Both quilts are fabulous!

7. Brenda Curtice permalink
    March 15, 2012 8:29 pm

I really like the free-form log cabin and will have to try this too. It’s soooo cool that your mom shares your passion. I am the mom— and would love to have my daughters quilting with me!! I’ll have to share this blog with them.

March 18, 2012 9:14 pm

I agree, it is so much fun to share something that you love with someone that you love. I hope you convert your daughters!

8. March 15, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks for sharing, Shea! I’ve seen (and LOVED) the cross quilt before but I don’t remember Mary’s Log Cabin…I love it too! So…does your sister quilt too???

March 18, 2012 9:13 pm

You have a good memory, Mary Anne! She didn’t show the log cabin one because it was already gifted to the baby. Maybe she will have to borrow it back for one night! My sister doesn’t quilt. She has made a quilt and I think she has great design ideas, but (so far) she’s not into sewing. She’s the jock in the family, so if I could somehow make quilting a competitive sport, I am sure she’d get into it! Ha!

9. seattlequilts permalink
    March 15, 2012 9:46 pm

this quilt is awesome, the colors are fabulous. I have to make one, I have those colors in my stash. How old is this mom of yours?

March 18, 2012 9:12 pm

My mom happens to be the niftiest 60 year old I know. :)

10. March 15, 2012 10:51 pm

Yay, Mary! I’m so glad you got to show off her quilts. She’s wonderfully talented!

11. March 21, 2012 11:08 pm

I just love these two quilts….especially the Liberated Cross, of course. I really MUST make another one and I so like Mary’s colors. I’m remembering that our sister had dibs on that quilt…did she get it?

12. March 26, 2012 1:18 pm

How nice that you are able to show your Mom’s hard work when she doesn’t blog. i guess this really hit a chord with me. Some of us that quilt don’t choose to blog. I love reading about what other quilters do and seeing the wonderful combinations of fabric usually on my lunch hour at work. When i am not working, i cook and take care of my home and husband. Then i make time to sew and quilt. Frankly i spend enough time on the computer all day that when i come home at night, the last thing i want to do is boot up the computer. It would cut into what ever free time i have to sew. i am a non-blogger by choice and will remain that way.

March 28, 2012 12:50 pm

I hear you! There are times when I am working to select pics and write posts where I think, “Oh, how I would rather be sewing!!”