Buffalo Check Quilt Pattern

Buffalo Check Quilt Pattern from Empty Bobbin Sewing Studio. Multiple sizes from mini to king. Free printable instructions.

I think 2015 must be the year of the buffalo. Well, buffalo check, anyway. Or buffalo plaid. Whatever you call it… I love it!

My sister and mom and I decided to make quilts that resemble the red and black check pattern. Rather than piece it with a LOT of squares, I decided to strip piece mine, speeding things up considerably! My quilt is 66″x82-1/2″, but I am mentally plotting a couple of baby quilts, too.

Quilt math is something I not-so-secretly love, so I made a set of directions and included several size options- the throw size I made, and every bed size from Baby to King. There’s a mini quilt, too!

The key to picking fabric is to find a great blend fabric. You can certainly use a solid, but the plaid effect really takes shape if you use a cross woven fabric, which means different thread colors are used for the warp and weft. My best advice? Start with a cross woven fabric that you like and build the two solids around that.

If these fabrics are new to you, check out the following:

A few shops near me carry a great selection. If you can’t find any local to you, try Modern Makers/Cucire here in Kansas City, Sarah’s Fabrics in Lawrence, KS and Hawthorne Threads, and Missouri Star Quilt Company.

I used Robert Kaufman Kona solids in Pepper and Red (though I would pick Kona Rich Red if I make it again) and a Westminster shot cotton in Bordeaux. For the backing, I used Robert Kaufman Shetland Flannel in Grey. Sooooo soft! I wanted the quilting to be minimal, to keep the quilt more cozy and less stiff. Simple corner to corner quilting did the trick and was so quick, too!

BuffaloCheckQuiltPatternBacking_EmptyBobbinSewingStudio

You can download the Buffalo Check Quilt pattern here! If you make one, please shout at me on Instagram (@emptybobbin) or use the hashtag #thebuffalocheckquilt so I can see what you made!

11 Responses to Buffalo Check Quilt Pattern

1. katieB December 17, 2015 at 10:47 am #

Love it’s such a simple pattern but I love it.

2. JODY IN IOWA December 18, 2015 at 12:20 pm #

Thanks for being specific with fabric choices. Makes it easier for me to shop!

3. Tina January 15, 2016 at 12:08 pm #

Thank you. Love this idea

4. Beatrice August 10, 2016 at 1:55 am #

Thank you for the pattern!

5. Susan Lasky October 29, 2016 at 8:59 am #

Love this….gives you the warm and fuzzy feeling that we all had years ago from wearing Buffalo Plaid jackets!! Thank you for sharing, it is greatly appreciated. Can’t wait to make this for my nephew! Kind Regards, Susan

6. Julia Davis November 16, 2016 at 9:04 pm #

Thank you for sharing all your wonderful details on this quilt, and for your pattern! I’ve been wanting to make 2 of these for my boys’ beds – since they decided they want their room to be outdoors-camping theme. But I was dreading having to figure out a pattern/math. You just saved me!

7. Ruth Pisani December 11, 2016 at 7:42 am #

I just found you on Pinterest, thank you for sharing, and your shop referrals.

8. Sarah VanWingerden December 12, 2016 at 11:28 am #

I’m obsessed with this! Definitely just bought fabric and I’ll be posting the photo of the finished quilt! Would you mind if I featured you on my site, http://www.putapininit.com?

9. sarah vanwingerden January 3, 2017 at 12:25 pm #

http://putapininit.com/buffalo-check-quilt/ thanks again for your wonderful tutorial! I love the way this quilt turned out:).

10. Jordan Callewaert January 24, 2017 at 10:12 am #

Hi! I’m wondering if the backing is Robert Kaufman Shetland Flannel “Grey” or “Herringbone Grey”

Thank you!

11. Gail August 9, 2017 at 6:30 pm #

I was inspired to make this for my son and daughter in law for their anniversary. Love this pattern! I used dark and light grays and white. Floral border. Thanks for the great tutorial