“I have a sewing machine. I just don’t know what to do with it!”
Heard that one before? So have I!
My book, School of Sewing: Learn it. Teach it. Sew Together. is part beginner sewing book, part sewing teaching tool and part narrative. It follows my eight friends, neighbors and co-workers as I taught them to use their sewing machines. School of Sewing is designed to be used as a tool for teaching yourself or someone you know how to sew! Even experienced sewists are finding countless new tips and tricks within the pages of the book.
Winner of the 2015 Benjamin Franklin Gold Award, given by the Independent Book Publishers Association!
About the book:
School of Sewing allows you to follow in the footsteps of a group of beginners who shared one goal- to learn to use their sewing machines. This book is an engaging, detailed lesson plan designed to guide you along that same journey, whether you are learning alone or as a group. It begins with easy-to-follow instructions for how to use a sewing machine and advice on buying fabric and tools and then progresses through 12 projects— one three-hour lesson a month, perfect for friends to learn together. Your own School of Sewing will be proud to show off or to gift these trendy projects, which include a pillowcase, zippered pouch, tote bag, and patchwork quilt, each with optional details for “extra credit.”
- sewing machine types, recommendations and how to shop for the machine of your dreams
- how to make fabric selections and understand color theory
- how to navigate the fabric store, including interfacing, notions and fabric types
- what the essential sewing supplies are that will get you started with the right gear
- how to trouble shoot problems when they occur
- professional finishing techniques
- numerous sewing skills, including zippers, ruffles, buttonholes, pleats, binding, sewing a curve and machine quilting
- how to sew 12 beginner projects, using step-by-step photos
- tips and advice from fellow beginners in a fun, approachable and relatable way
To learn more, check out theschoolofsewing.com See the book trailer, get a peek inside the book and download the set of 12 free class outlines that I developed to coordinate with the book projects. I think you’ll find them handy if you’re teaching someone how to sew!